Saturday, March 17, 2007

ALERT TEH INTRAWEBZ!!

Several years ago, Al Gore invented it. Now I'm helping you get through this series of tubes we call "the Internet".

The Internet and You:

If you've been on the Internet, you've probably noticed that it has become its own subculture. People are obsessed with it. It's bigger than The Beatles. The Internet can be a useful tool for providing intelligent information to people all across the world. Of course, that's not what it's used for. It's used for posting videos, message boards, and all forms of online communities. People join these communities to meet others who share a common interest such as a favorite pastime or T.V. show. Within the discussions of these varied topics, one thing is found common in all of them: Fads.

Some fads become legends. Even those who do not frequent the Internet know of emoticons and Internet slang such as "lol". Others become popular only within the domain of the web, such as famous online videos, or quotes from them. Even some people are sucked into the popularity of the online community and become "Internet Stars".

I'm a big fan of the Internet. I owe my devotion to the web to my addiction to video games. The first online community I joined, Nintendo NSider, was a result of my love for my N64. Having used the Internet for several years, I've seen a number of online trends come and go. Even my pseudonym comes for an episode of "Teen Girl Squad" on Homestarrunner.com. I realize that these fads are idiotic and often insulting to society as a whole, but a few of them are really entertaining.

That is why I have dedicated my blog to the Internet and the trends that populate it. I'll be having a "Fad of The Week," FTW for short (Yes, that was intended). If you would like to see me talk about a specific fad, please email me at awesome.toaster@gmail.com. I'll be happy to receive your concerns there as well.

Now, moving on. My second goal with this blog is to not only review internet fads but to start one. This has been my dream for a number of years, but it's easier said than done. This blog will not be strictly about current and past Internet fads, but hopefully also be the birthplace of a new one. If I get a video camera I'll be sure to create some videos as well.

Spotlighting:

A comedian on YouTube called "boburnham" has released a few videos of his comic talent. My personal favorite is "My Whole Family...".

End of Line.

No comments: